Since 2003, Andre Gingrich is Director of the Institute for Social Anthropology of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and Professor of the Department of Social and Cultural Studies of the University of Vienna. He finished both his Doctoral Studies in Social Anthropology (as well as Sociology and Middle Eastern Studies) and his habilitation (1990) at the University of Vienna. His research focuses on the anthropology and history of south-western Arabia (Saudi Arabia and Yemen); Theories and Methods in Anthropology; and the History of Anthropology. He has been a research project director at the Austrian Academy (e.g. Wittgenstein project 2001-2007; EU Tempus cooperation with BirZeit (2005-2009); Globalisation handbook (2006-2011, in German)), and currently holds several international functions: he is editorial board member for peer reviewed journals American Anthropologist (US), Ethnos (Sweden), Focaal (Netherlands); ERC panel chair SH2. For the VISCOM SFB, of which he is also the deputy director, his project focuses on south-western Arabia, and especially on medieval Yemeni communal relations.
- The Use and Abuse of Civilization: An Assessment from Historical Anthropology for South Arabia’s History, in: J. P. Arnason and C. Hann (eds.), Reconsidering Civilization (forthcoming).
- (ed. with Christina Lutter), Visions of Community: Comparative Approaches to Medieval Forms of Identity in Europe and Asia, in History and Anthropology 26/1 (2015) - Thematic Journal Issue.
- (with Christina Lutter), Visions of Community: an Introduction, in Andre Gingrich and Christina Lutter (eds.), Visions of Community. Comparative Approaches to Medieval Forms of Identity in Europe and Asia, History and Anthropology 26/1 (2015), 1-7.
- Multiple Histories: Three Journeys through Academic Records, Medieval Yemen, and Current Anthropology’s Encounters with the Past, in: Andre Gingrich and Christina Lutter (eds.), Visions of Community. Comparative Approaches to Medieval Forms of Identity in Europe and Asia, History and Anthropology 26/1 (2015), 110-128.
- Galactic Polities: Anthropological Insights for Understanding States in Yemen’s pre-Ottoman Past, in: Andre Gingrich and S. Haas (eds.), Southwest Arabia across History - Essays to the Memory of Walter Dostal (Wien: Verlag der OEAW, 2014), 117-124.
- (with Monika Palmberger), Qualitative Comparative Practices: Dimensions, Cases, and Strategies, in: U. Flick (ed.), The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Data Analysis (Los Angeles et al.: SAGE, 2014), 94-108.
- Envisioning Medieval Communities in Asia: Remarks on Ethnicity, Tribalism, and Faith, in: Walter Pohl, Clemens Gantner, and Richard Payne (eds.): Visions of Community in the Post-Roman World: The West, Byzantium and the Islamic World, (Ashgate, Farnham: 2012), pp. 29-41.
- (ed. with Fernand Kreff, Eva-Maria Knoll, Sven Hartwig and Sabine Declev), Lexikon der Globalisierung, (Transcript Verlag, Bielefeld 2011).